If you’re looking for a breakfast alternative to commercially processed cereal, steel cut oats are a great alternative! I buy organic steel cut oats in bulk from Country Life Natural Foods, and with 7 g of protein and 10% of our daily recommend iron per serving, they are a healthy and economical breakfast choice that the whole family enjoys. When you top them with butter, you’re getting plenty of healthy fats. They do have a considerable amount of phytic acid that prevents us from absorbing necessary minerals, so that’s why I recommend soaking them first.
- 2 c. Organic Steel Cut Oats (I buy mine here, but you can get a smaller amount here.)
- 2 T. Apple Cider Vinegar (I buy mine here, but you can get some here too.)
- Filtered Water
- 4 Quart Pot
- Real Salt (I buy mine here, but you can get some here too.)
- Place the steel cut oats in a pot and cover with about twice as much water.
- Add the apple cider vinegar.
- Let sit overnight or for 8 hours minimum. The ideal would be to soak for a complete 24 hours to get rid of all of the phytic acid, but anything is better than nothing.
- Bring to a slow boil stirring often.
- Once it boils, turn off the burner off, cover with a lid, and let it sit until all of the water is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- *If it’s really hard to stir, add more water. If it’s still really soupy, turn the burner on low and leave the lid off, and cook until more of the water evaporates/is absorbed.
- Serve with butter and salt. Sometimes we like to add brown sugar and milk for a sweet treat.