Do you already make your own deodorant or whipped body butter? Then with one more ingredient (beeswax), you can also make your own lip balm! I’ve always been a big fan of using Bag Balm on my lips, but I like this even better! It makes my lips super smooth, and I love the smell! This recipe is super easy to follow, and you can have your own lip balm in no time! I made quadruple this recipe because (as always), I like to have extra to give away and store for another day.
- 1 T. Beeswax
- 2 T. Coconut Oil (You can get some great organic coconut oil here or buy it in bulk here.)
- 2 T. Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
- 10 Drops Peppermint Oil
- 10 Drops Eucalyptus Oil
- Lip Balm Containers (You can use these tubes or these tins.)
- Double Broiler (Or you can just put a glass bowl on top of a pan, which is what I do.)
- Pouring Container (Just something with a lip on it.)
- The ratio for this recipe just needs to be one part beeswax, two parts coconut oil, and two parts shea butter or cocoa butter (or even mango butter) for a medium firm recipe.
- To make a softer lip balm that you might want to store in a tin like this, reduce the amount of beeswax (up to half), and if you want a firmer chap stick, increase the amount of beeswax (up to double).
- Essential oils are all about your preference. You might enjoy using mint, lavender, blood orange, or any other oil that you fancy!
- I’ve linked to my favorite brands from Amazon above, but I really prefer ordering all of my natural care products from Bulk Apothecary. They carry superb products at a reasonable price.
- Set up a double broiler by boiling a pan of water and placing a glass bowl on top of it.
- Add the beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter and/or cocoa butter.
- The beeswax takes the longest to melt which is about 15-20 minutes. (To speed up the process, you can put a towel over the bowl. Just make sure it doesn’t touch the burner!)
- Transfer your melted mixture to a pouring container (like this). A spatula can help to transfer all of the mixture.
- Stand up all of your lip balm containers and place them close together in a bunch.
- Use the funnel to fill each container.
- Let cool, harden, and then use!
Here’s a video of my daughter helping me to fill our our lip balm containers. It is so much fun to make homemade products together!