When I first started this blog, I encouraged friends and family to submit articles for my guest blog section pertaining to their journeys with motherhood. Now that my blog is reaching more people, I am getting more and more requests to submit guest blog posts from people I don’t know. This is prompting me to create these guidelines so that there is a place where people can go to see my expectations and such.
If you know me personally, don’t worry so much about these guidelines as I am sure you are familiar with my content and style and we will communicate easily about things. If you don’t know me, however, hopefully these guidelines will help you to see if your content would fit into my blog and to know specifically what I am looking for and not looking for. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Personal Stories: My first hope for guest blogs is that they would pertain to the author’s personal journey into motherhood (or fatherhood, becoming a grandma/grandpa, etc.) or some other personal story or journey about any aspect of parenthood (like this).
My Content: In my blog, I do a lot of writing about food and health, and my philosophies are rooted in Weston Price (i.e. raw milk, pastured eggs, grass fed beef, organic fruits and veggies, properly prepared grains, etc.). I also write about how children learn, parenting topics, and things related to motherhood such as pregnancy, birth, postpartum recovery, and newborn care. I tend to lean heavily towards doing things naturally so home births, co-sleeping, etc., but I’m not super crazy about following all of the rules of any ideology.
Your Content: If you are sharing a personal story, I am not concerned at all that your content has to match mine, but if you are writing a content based article, then I would like your content to philosophically match mine and support the ideas that I promote in this blog. To be honest, I really like being the primary content writer for this site, so if you have some content that you wish to submit, you’d better do your research and knock my socks off!
Your Area of Expertise: In addition to personal stories, I would highly encourage guest bloggers to think about their areas of expertise and how they could benefit the readers of this blog (like this).
Purpose of Writing
To Share Your Story: If you are a friend, mother, or reader of this blog, and you just have a story to share, this is a great place to do so! You might only want to share one story or you might like to share many, it’s up to you!
To Share Information: If you have knowledge about a topic that you think the readers of Embracing Motherhood would be interested in, I would love a well written, thought provoking, informative, and well cited article.
To Promote Your Blog: If you also write a blog or have a website pertaining to motherhood, you might be looking to make a guest post so that you can get a link back to your site. If your blog/website promotes similar philosophies/content to mine, then I would love to promote it and encourage you to submit a post! I would also encourage you to share the link to your guest post on your site so that we can both help each other out with traffic.
To Promote a Product or Service: If you are a mompreneur who has created a mom friendly product or provides a mom friendly service that you would like to promote, I would love to hear your story in the form of a guest post while you promote your product or service.
Purposes I Don’t Care for: I will not respond to spammy sounding requests for guest posts. I’m not going to tell you how I know requests are spammy, but just know that I have seen enough generic requests come through to spot them a mile away!
When you have the go ahead from me to submit a guest post for consideration, here is the criteria I am looking for. Just know that as the creator of this site, I have the right to refuse a guest post at any point in time if it does not meet my expectations. Once I post your article, it will stay up indefinitely as long as I maintain this blog.
- Words: Must be a minimum of 1,500 words.
- Editing: Free from spelling and grammar mistakes (*If I choose to publish your content and there are indeed some spelling and/or grammar mistakes, I will take the liberty of correcting them.)
- Blog Post Image: I would LOVE it if you could use Canva to create your own blog post image with dimension 810 x 400 pixels. If you don’t know how to do this, I need a photo either taken my you or with the source of the photo credited (i.e. wikimedia, pixabay, flikr, or other creative commons photo). I will then use Canva to create a featured image for the article. Submit via email as an attachment.
- Word Doc: Submit via email in a Word document.
- Author Bio: I’m looking for a sentence or two about who you are, a photo is optional, and you can include a link to your website, store, etc.
Here are some of the nitty gritty items I wanted to cover.
- Original Content: I don’t want you to submit an article that you copy and paste as a guest blog post for every blogger you meet. I am looking for original content tailored specifically for my site.
- Don’t Plagiarize: By running your article through a few filters, I will be able to verify that you aren’t plagiarizing parts or all of your content. Please don’t send me plagiarized stuff.
- Proper Citation: Use proper citation when quoting other authors or publications.
- I Own It: Once you submit a guest blog post to me, I technically own it. Now, I’m not going to do anything with it except for share it on my site, but for clarification purposes, you are giving me the article.
- No Affiliate Links: You may not include any affiliate links in your article. I may, however, include my own affiliate links.
If you have read through these guidelines and are still interested in submitting a guest post, please send me an email telling me who you are, why you’re interested in writing for my site, and a link to your website if you have one.