Wellness Formula is the BEST Way to Keep Sickness at Bay for Children and Adults!
Being a mother of four little ones, I cannot afford to get sick. That’s why at the mere hint of a cold, I start to take my Wellness Formula capsules. In doing so, I have been able to avoid all illnesses for the past 3 years (when I discovered Wellness Formula). (*May 2019 update: I now have five children and still swear by this product. I update this blog regularly to make sure all links work.)
Unfortunately, this time around, I ran out of my magic pills right when I needed them most. I really didn’t think too much of it at first. The fact that I have not been sick in so long has given me a sense of over confidence about my immune system. I put off ordering more and instead went to work on my usual sick routine of making some bone broth soup, eating lots of fresh garlic and ginger, and supplementing with vitamin C (This is the BEST vitamin C on the market!) and vitamin D-3. I even had some bee propolis around that I took as well.
Well flash forward to the day after I stopped taking my pills, and I felt MISERABLE! My head was pounding, my head was stuffy and clouded, there was so much pressure and pain in my ears, my nose was runny, I had a horrible cough, and because I hadn’t been sick in so long, it just hit me really really hard.
Since it was going to be two more days until my fresh shipment of pills from Amazon arrived, so my mother brought me over some of her Wellness Formula Tablets. I took some right away, and they stopped the progression of the cold in right its tracks. Unfortunately, these magic pills aren’t so good about reversing the progression. When taken at the first hint of an illness, they give your immune system the strength to stop things before they get started, but once a cold has settled in, it’s a bit harder to get rid of.
I made a solemn vow to myself to never ever again take for granted the magic that is in these pills. Even though I had just ordered a bottle, I went online and ordered another one and then every other product they made…my back up stash. After seeing most of my children sick with this terrible cold, I thought, “Boy, I wish they made a kids version!” And lo and behold when I typed in “wellness formula” and “kids”, I found out that they do!
Here are all of the products they make, where to get them, prices, quantities, recommended dosages, and my notes about each one of them.
Where to Get Wellness Formula
Wellness Formula is a product offered by Source Naturals® which is a company created in 1982 by C.E.O. Ira Goldberg at a time when natural formulas were a rarity. They offer a variety of natural products, but my favorite is the Wellness Formula line. You can purchase the Wellness Formula (and other products) from their site or from Amazon, whichever is more convenient (FYI: at the time of checking, Amazon was much cheaper).
Wellness Formula Capsules
These are my favorite because they are the easiest to swallow.
- Purchase from Amazon: Wellness Formula Capsules from Amazon
- Purchase from Source Naturals: Wellness Formula Capsules from Source Naturals
- Recommended Dosage: 2-4 capsules per day for wellness maintenance and 6 capsules twice a day at first signs of illness
- Notes: If you’re not sure what to get, get these. The capsules are about the size of Tylenol, and it’s the best value. When I take these and the illness is particularly strong or advanced, I’ll take 6 capsules every three hours until I can feel my symptoms subside. As my symptoms stop progressing, I’ll scale it back to the recommended 6 tablets twice a day.
Wellness Formula Tablets
The tablets are stronger than the capsules so you have to take fewer of them, but they are harder to swallow. *Source Naturals doesn’t appear to carry these anymore, only the Wellness Multiple tablets which are for health maintenance.
- Purchase from Amazon: Wellness Formula Tablets from Amazon
- Purchase from Source Naturals: Wellness Multiple Tablets from Source Naturals
- Recommended Dosage: 1-2 tablets per day for wellness maintenance and 3 tablets twice a day at first signs of illness
- Notes: These tablets are bigger and more potent, so you need fewer of them, but they are HUGE! I cannot swallow pills this huge, so I have to crush them up, mix them with water, and try not to puke as I swallow it because it tastes gross! But lately, I even have trouble swallowing the capsules (darn esophageal spasms) so these tablets have become my preferred source of Wellness Formula. Sometimes with the capsules, I can burp up the taste much later, but crushing these tablets gets them into my bloodstream much quicker and I can feel them taking effect right away!
Wellness Formula Chewable Wafers
These are great for kids or adults who don’t like taking pills.
- Purchase from Amazon: Wellness Formula Chewable Wafers for Kids from Amazon
- Purchase from Amazon: Wellness Formula Chewable Wafers for Adults from Amazon
- Purchase from Source Naturals: Wellness Formula Chewable Wafers from Source Naturals *These chewable wafers don’t have a distinction for children or adults.
- Recommended Dosage: 2 wafers four times daily for adults, for children 14 and up 1 wafer four times daily, for children 9-13 1 wafer three times daily, for children 4-8 1 wafer two times daily, and for children 3 and under, it says to consult your physician.
- Notes: This is great for kids (and/or adults who don’t like swallowing pills). I didn’t even know these existed until now, and I am very excited to start giving them to our 5 and 6 year old the next time they start getting sick. We just opened our package and so far so good! They taste great and the kids love them. These would also be great to keep in your purse or car to take whenever you start to feel a little under the weather. *There are far less ingredients in these wafers than there are in the capsules and tablets however. The vitamin A is also significantly lower (from 5,000 IU to 500 IU).
Wellness Formula Liquid
This is great for small children who are used to taking oral medicine.
- Purchase from Amazon: Children’s Wellness Formula Liquid from Amazon
- Purchase from Amazon: Children’s Wellness Formula Liquid from Source Naturals
- Recommended Dosage: 1/2 teaspoon three times a day at first signs of illness (or one time a day for maintenance)
- Notes: This is not recommended for children under one (probably because of the honey and risks of botulism), but I ordered this for my 1 and 2 year old who I know won’t eat the chewable wafers. It tastes about as unpleasant as Zarbee’s Cough Medicine (which is a great natural product to treat the symptoms of a cold), so my little ones aren’t too thrilled about it, but I can get them to take it. You could also put it in a smoothie or scoop of peanut butter to hide the medicine factor.
Why It Works
Instead of dealing with the symptoms you get AFTER getting a cold, this Wellness Formula gives your immune system the boost it needs to deal with the illness BEFORE it even begins. Watch this really cool animation to see how the flu virus invades your body.
Basically, a virus will hijack normal healthy cells, unlock them with little “keys”, and trick the cells into replicating more viruses. Only one virus needs to enter a cell to make millions more viruses. But humans have a 100 trillion cells, and when your immune system sees the virus, it will attack and kill it. It’s just about keeping that perfect balance in harmony and keeping your immune system as strong as possible.
Things like getting plenty of rest and sunshine, keeping stress levels to a minimum, drinking plenty of water, eating a healthy diet void of processed foods and rich in nutrient dense foods like bone broth soup are all things that will do wonders for your immune system. But when any of these factors are lacking (like when you’re not getting any sleep because you’re up in the night with sick kids), then this boost of over 30 powerful ingredients including antioxidants, herbal extracts, vitamins, and minerals will give your immune system the support it needs to fight the incoming virus! Check out more about how it works here.
List of Ingredients for Wellness Formula
Click here to see the package label from Source Natural. I’ve copied it here so that you can see at a glance all of the goodness that’s going on. To the right of each ingredient is the amount found in 6 capsules and in parentheses is the percent of how this rates with what you need daily.
- Vitamin A (as palmitate 4,000 IU & beta-carotene 1,000 IU) – 5,000 IU (100%)
- Vitamin C (from ascorbic acid and zinc ascorbate) – 1,300 mg (2,167%)
- Vitamin D-3 (as cholecalciferol) – 400 IU (100%)
- Calcium – 40 mg (4%)
- Zinc (as zinc citrate and ascorbate) – 23 mg (153%)
- Selenium (as sodium selenite) – 60 mcg (86%)
- Copper (as copper citrate) – 150 mcg (8%)
- Sodium – 10 mg (<1%)
- Garlic Bulb – 360 mg
- Propolis Extract – 295 mg
- Echinacea purpurea Root Extract – 270 mg
- Elderberry Fruit Extract – 240 mg
- Aromatic Solomon’s Seal Rhizome – 120 mg
- Horehound Aerial Parts Extract – 100 mg
- Olive Leaf Extract (10% oleuropein) – 100 mg
- Andrographis Aerial Parts Extract (10% andrographolides) – 100 mg
- Isatis Root Extract – 75 mg
- Eleuthero Root Extract – 75 mg
- Elecampane Root – 70 mg
- Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex – 60 mg
- Boneset Aerial Parts Extract – 60 mg
- Boneset Aerial Parts – 300 mg
- Goldenseal Root Extract – 45 mg
- Angelica Root Extract – 45 mg
- Astragalus Root Extract – 45 mg
- Isatis Leaf Extract – 40 mg
- Elecampane Root Extract – 30 mg
- Mullein Leaf Extract – 30 mg
- Pau D’Arco Bark Extract – 30 mg
- Cayenne Fruit – 30 mg
- Ginger Root Extract – 30 mg
- Grape Seed Extract (Proanthodyn™) – 10 mg
- If you read through the reviews on Amazon, you’ll notice that in 2013 and 2014, there are a lot of people complaining about the formula changing. Basically, it looks like a lot of the expensive ingredients were scaled back. A lot of people say that this is why it doesn’t work as well, but I still think it works great. This is also why I think that if it’s just not working, take a little more.
- Don’t stop taking Wellness Formula the second you start feeling better after a brush with illness. I like to at least take half of the recommended dosage until I’m a day or two past it.
- Unfortunately, it is not recommended for women who are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding. I’m not entirely sure why that is, but I have taken it while breastfeeding and had no problems with my milk supply or anything else. I would encourage you to share any questions you have with your midwife or doctor and let me know what you find out!
Other Great Source Naturals Products for Kids
Source Naturals has so many great products for kids! I haven’t tried the following products yet, but they sound amazing and I would definitely like to purchase them in the future.
- Wellness Cough Syrup with Wild Cherry Bark – An herbal, homeopathic formula that helps loosen mucus, clear congestion, and soothe sore throats.
- Wellness Elderberry Extract Liquid – This is great for adults too to boost the immune system.
- Kids’ Vitamin D-3 – Natural black cherry flavor with no sugar or artificial sweetener, provides 100% of daily recommended value to build strong bones and support the immune system. Great when sunshine isn’t around!
- Attentive Child – Supports the multiple systems that affect a child’s brain metabolism with a sweet tart taste that kids love. Also comes in a wafer.
Other Great Sources Naturals Products for Adults
I am always looking for new ways to keep sickness at bay. I believe strongly that getting adequate sleep, eating a healthy diet, getting enough exercise and sunshine, and keeping stress levels to a minimum are the best ways to do so, but sometimes you need a boost! The following products are award winners and are definitely things I would like to add to my wellness cabinet, but I mean, if you type in “source natural” plus whatever you’re looking for from a multivitamin to colloidal silver, I would trust this brand over anything else out there.
- Top 10 Healers – Great anti-aging and overall health product to take regularly. *Winner of Better Nutrition Magazine 2016 Best Supplements in Anti-Aging and Overall Health Category
Telomeron – Telomeres are special DNA that protects the ends of every chromosome. The ingredients in Telomeron can help maintain healthy telomeres and supports healthy cellular aging.
- Bone Renew – The natural milk-based protein MBP promotes healthy bone density by increasing the growth of bone forming cells and making bones more receptive to calcium and the best part is that it’s still easy for most lactose intolerant people to take!
- Allercetin Allergy and Sinus – Natural homeopathic remedies to alleviate hay fever and other seasonal allergy responses.
- Theanine Serene with Relora for Mood and Stress – Supports relaxation and focused attention plus soothes temporary anxiety.
Being sick is no fun. Now that I’m currently sick after years and years of keeping illnesses at bay, I can definitely attest to that! I have since ordered every Wellness Formula product and hope to not let illness strike me (or my family) again. Back in the day when I was a teacher, I used to swear by Airborne, which is still okay in a pinch, but no where NEAR as effective as this Wellness Formula. This is hands down the best thing you can do (after sleeping, getting sunshine, yada, yada) to prevent illness from taking you down. So many people swear by this product. Just take a minute to read the plethora of positive reviews on Amazon. I’m sure once you try this, you’ll be a believer too.
* I also have few other supplements that I swear by if you’re looking to build your arsenal.
Thank you for your review of these products. Your information is exactly what I was looking for to share with my niece whose little boy has been sick a lot. I’ve used Wellness Formula (tablets) for 20 years and in my opinion it is indeed the most effective way to beat common illnesses. I tell as many people who will listen about this natural remedy. Your review was very helpful… before I saw it I had told my niece there might be a kid’s version. Now I know there are a couple options!
I’m glad you found this article helpful! I love this product, and I am so glad they have so many options for children. 🙂
Hi my name is Marina. I have Wellness Formula capsules at home, and my 12 year old son is getting sick. Can I give him this and how much is going to be a dosage? Thanks.
I can’t find any information about dosage based on age. Personally, I would recommend the Wellness Children’s Immune Chewable tablets for kids up to 14. https://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1908