One of my favorite snacks in the whole world is homemade bread topped with homemade hummus, green olives, and fresh tomatoes from the garden. This hummus recipe is easy to make, super nutritious, and oh so very delicious!
- 2 15 oz. Cans of Garbanzo Beans (drain and save the liquid)
- ½ Cup Tahini (make sure it’s evenly mixed)
- ¼ Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon (juice from one lemon or more if you like it tangy)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (peeled and sliced, more or less depending on taste preference)
- 1 t. Cumin (Some recipes don’t call for this spice, but I think it’s what completes the flavor.)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- *Blender (You could also use a food processor.)
- *Parsley (as a garnish, optional)
- Drain the liquid from the garbanzo beans and add them to the blender. Set the liquid aside to add later as needed to get the blender going.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper).
- I like my hummus on the thicker side, so I try to add as little of the reserved garbanzo bean liquid as possible which is usually about half of a can.
- In order to blend everything evenly, I use a large spoon to stir, blend, stir, blend, repeat until the consistency is nice and creamy.
By having some delicious homemade hummus prepared ahead of time, you can be sure that when hunger strikes you will have a healthy snack on hand. I love chopping up fresh carrots and celery and using the hummus as a dip or putting it on top of my homemade bread. Delicious!