Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe
This sourdough pizza crust recipe is great for getting rid of the phytic acid that is in all grains, but you do need to prepare it about 8 hours ahead of time. If you need something right away, I suggest you check out my quick and easy pizza recipe.
This sourdough pizza crust recipe can be used to make one large pizza, two smaller pizzas, two trays of pizza muffins, or two medium sized calzones.
- 1 c. Sourdough Starter (Blog Post: Sourdough Starter Recipe)
- 2 c. Raw Milk (Blog Post: Why We Drink Raw Milk)
- 4 c. Freshly Ground Flour (I get my wheat berries here, but you can find some similar here too and then I grind them with this.)
- *2 T. Raw Honey (Optional: It helps to neutralize the sour flavor.)
- 1 ½ t. Real Salt (I buy my Real Salt in bulk here, you can buy a shaker here, or a refill pouch here.)
- 1 t. Baking Soda (or aluminum free baking powder)
- *Optional: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Oregano, and Basil
Part 1: Mix it Up and Let it Sit
- Dissolve the sourdough starter into the milk, add the flour, and stir until combined.
- Cover with a towel and leave out for 8 hours (or overnight).
Part 2: Make Your Crust (8 Hours Later)
- Add the honey, salt, baking soda, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano. Since the dough is pretty stiff at this point, I find it easiest to just knead in the remaining ingredients. To do this, spread a little flour on the counter top, grease up your hands with some coconut oil, and knead until everything is mixed together.
- To make a large pizza, preheat the oven to 450˚F, roll out the pizza crust onto a slightly greased pizza pan, cover with a towel and place on top of the preheating oven for an hour to let it rise (this is optional and will make a softer crust), add your toppings and bake for 15-20 minutes. *If you want to be extra fancy, melt some butter, add some fresh herbs and salt, and spread generously over the edges of the crust.
- If you want to make some amazing Pizza Muffins instead (which is what I usually do), click here to see the recipe. *I cook my pizza muffins for 10-12 minutes at 350º F.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!